
mingoglia
Apr 16, 03:48 PM
I'm not a developer and have no idea what their policies are but will say I think it's a bit lame to have that double standard. If I was the cartoonist I wouldn't have resubmitted it. Or if I did it would have been a cartoon mocking the double standard of Apple.... I'd then blog about the whole experience. :D
dustinsc
Mar 28, 09:45 AM
I don't know... perhaps the "Join us for a preview of the future of iOS and Mac OSX" Seems like we will be seeing the new iOS features for the first time.
Well, it says a preview of iOS and Mac OS X. We've already seen a preview of OS X, so it's not unreasonable to think we will also see a preview of iOS before this.
Well, it says a preview of iOS and Mac OS X. We've already seen a preview of OS X, so it's not unreasonable to think we will also see a preview of iOS before this.
B�hme417
Apr 5, 07:02 PM
*fingers crossed for FW800* :D
robotmonkey
Jun 13, 09:56 PM
At&t and T-mobile are the only ones that'll work for me anyways :D
more...
MacDawg
Jan 4, 09:55 AM
I love my Garmin Nuvi :)
Sounds promising and I may check it out
Sounds promising and I may check it out
katie ta achoo
Sep 6, 08:12 PM
There's also an "over heard in houston"
clink (http://overheardinhouston.com)
I have a horrible feeling I may be on it one day!
haha
I love it, though!
clink (http://overheardinhouston.com)
I have a horrible feeling I may be on it one day!
haha
I love it, though!
more...
big
Sep 13, 09:10 PM
>guys, don't sweat it. by 2nd quarter of 2003 we will cruising along on 1.4 and 1.6 ghz overclocked G4s. oh man
<sarcasm>oh yeah</sarcasm>, that'll be consolation, though our bus speed will be @ 133mhz for the next 5 years
<sarcasm>oh yeah</sarcasm>, that'll be consolation, though our bus speed will be @ 133mhz for the next 5 years
scottparker999
Jun 18, 04:26 PM
How beautiful would that be for Time Machine, particularly in a laptop?
Sounds absolutely perfect.
Sounds absolutely perfect.
more...
alfmil
Apr 24, 03:20 AM
I'm just waiting for Lion to come out, then I am buying an 11" MBA. However, I would like to see a Thunderbolt port next to the power port so I won't have to stretch cables to both sides of the MBA when using a Cinema Display.
My guess is that if there is a Thunderbolt port, and the Cinema Display is updated to utilize a Thunderbolt cable, the USB cable would be unnecessary. That would be pretty slick.
My guess is that if there is a Thunderbolt port, and the Cinema Display is updated to utilize a Thunderbolt cable, the USB cable would be unnecessary. That would be pretty slick.
CFreymarc
Jun 30, 10:28 PM
If T-mobile gets the iPhone maybe they will have better data plans than AT&T
All this "next iPhone carrier" stuff is up there with Elvis sightings now. Unless I see a verified quote from execs, it is just one more guy in a rhinestone jumpsuit in the frozen food aisle at WalMart.
All this "next iPhone carrier" stuff is up there with Elvis sightings now. Unless I see a verified quote from execs, it is just one more guy in a rhinestone jumpsuit in the frozen food aisle at WalMart.
more...
matticus008
Nov 21, 04:57 PM
Hook up that chip, and then just keep overclocking the thing... you don't have to worry about it overheating and melting, it'll just give you more battery life.
Maybe this is a joke? The processor will still heat up in the beginning to a given temperature, and if it crosses the safe upper limit, it will be damaged. This technology will take the generated heat and convert it to electricity--it won't make the processor generate less heat.
Wouldn't using the "extra" electricity to power fans to decrease heat lead to less "extra" electricity???? :rolleyes: I hope they really think this through - and I'm sure they will. Of course powering fans isn't the only use for electricity.
Of course it will. But if you're producing 110% power at 102% consumption, that's still an 8% gain. The trick is to ensure that the benefit outweighs the cost (both in price and in additional power drain to power the system) by a large margin. This is the sort of thing that improves with time.
This could be very cool if it works. Just slap one of these between your processor and heat sink and get 30% more battery life. Or on desktops force cool your system without liquid.
You won't get 30% of your electricity back. You'll get up to 30% of the power lost through heat which is accessible to the chip (that is, the portion not lost from convection cooling of the case) and above ambient temperatures. If you're in a warm room, for instance, you'll have much lower performance, since it requires the differential to work. Of course, maybe the information available isn't wholly accurate, but that's my understanding based on the description.
Maybe this is a joke? The processor will still heat up in the beginning to a given temperature, and if it crosses the safe upper limit, it will be damaged. This technology will take the generated heat and convert it to electricity--it won't make the processor generate less heat.
Wouldn't using the "extra" electricity to power fans to decrease heat lead to less "extra" electricity???? :rolleyes: I hope they really think this through - and I'm sure they will. Of course powering fans isn't the only use for electricity.
Of course it will. But if you're producing 110% power at 102% consumption, that's still an 8% gain. The trick is to ensure that the benefit outweighs the cost (both in price and in additional power drain to power the system) by a large margin. This is the sort of thing that improves with time.
This could be very cool if it works. Just slap one of these between your processor and heat sink and get 30% more battery life. Or on desktops force cool your system without liquid.
You won't get 30% of your electricity back. You'll get up to 30% of the power lost through heat which is accessible to the chip (that is, the portion not lost from convection cooling of the case) and above ambient temperatures. If you're in a warm room, for instance, you'll have much lower performance, since it requires the differential to work. Of course, maybe the information available isn't wholly accurate, but that's my understanding based on the description.
Icculus
Mar 9, 09:50 AM
I will be at Stonebriar @ 3pm on friday...hoping for the best, still debating which store will be better Stonebriar or Willowbend
more...
B2k1977
Jan 8, 03:05 PM
agreed. i wish there was a way to do this automatically.
anyone know an app?
SmartSync
anyone know an app?
SmartSync
Eraserhead
Jun 12, 04:12 AM
I think I deleted/edited all the pages and categories you mentioned that you didn't have permission to change.
Thanks
I moved the Forum Posts category into the Mac Guides category. I don't think it deserves to be listed on the main page since it's more a secondary categorisation of articles and not generally a logical place to look for something.
That sounds sensible.
Some brief comments on the Guides category since I'm not sure everyone fully understands its purpose; it contains 'how to'-type articles as opposed to encyclopaedia-type articles, so it's not just a catch-all. Having said that, it might not be the most logical categorisation structure so I'm not completely against removing it.
I've been doing some changes, but I'll stop on this one for now. The problem with the guides category as it stands is that a lot of the articles should be somewhere else as well or just somewhere else. I think the best way forward is to give every article in it another category unless it really isn't appropriate and then go and recover any articles that are actually tips like that.
It'll need need a bit more work, but it'll make sure nothing is missed.
The new Mac Hardware/Macs categorisation seems strange. Having the extra step of having to go to the "Macs" category after going to the "Mac Hardware" category seems unnecessary and could make hardware articles hard to find.
I think you're right. Maybe its worth bringing the main articles into Mac Hardware and keeping the G3-G5 Macs in a category called G3 to G5 Macs or something.
Thanks
I moved the Forum Posts category into the Mac Guides category. I don't think it deserves to be listed on the main page since it's more a secondary categorisation of articles and not generally a logical place to look for something.
That sounds sensible.
Some brief comments on the Guides category since I'm not sure everyone fully understands its purpose; it contains 'how to'-type articles as opposed to encyclopaedia-type articles, so it's not just a catch-all. Having said that, it might not be the most logical categorisation structure so I'm not completely against removing it.
I've been doing some changes, but I'll stop on this one for now. The problem with the guides category as it stands is that a lot of the articles should be somewhere else as well or just somewhere else. I think the best way forward is to give every article in it another category unless it really isn't appropriate and then go and recover any articles that are actually tips like that.
It'll need need a bit more work, but it'll make sure nothing is missed.
The new Mac Hardware/Macs categorisation seems strange. Having the extra step of having to go to the "Macs" category after going to the "Mac Hardware" category seems unnecessary and could make hardware articles hard to find.
I think you're right. Maybe its worth bringing the main articles into Mac Hardware and keeping the G3-G5 Macs in a category called G3 to G5 Macs or something.
more...
mofunk
Nov 28, 12:59 AM
Yeah I wish this case was out when I got my iPod. The back of mine has a few scratches on it. I've had this case for a few days now and I love it. The cut is perfect.
syrianos
Sep 19, 04:26 PM
I'm a bit confused, because, I can't update the EFI ... I strictly followed the instructions. Poweron while holding the power button... then some secondes after speed flashs of the led (I mean stroboscopic) and then just a long BIIIIIP and normal boot after that ...
Tried many times, any hints ?
Thx a lot
i have the exact same problem, i can't get update to work, i unplugged all the usb and firewire cables etc. nothing, beeeeep, reboot, grey screen, apple and circle for normal boot... frustration.
i'm running startup disk in sriped raid, can this influence the update?
Tried many times, any hints ?
Thx a lot
i have the exact same problem, i can't get update to work, i unplugged all the usb and firewire cables etc. nothing, beeeeep, reboot, grey screen, apple and circle for normal boot... frustration.
i'm running startup disk in sriped raid, can this influence the update?
more...
PaulieORF
Mar 28, 08:54 AM
In my opinion this all but confirms speculation of a late summer or fall release for iOS5 and iPhone 5. I too wish they would announce iOS 5 and iPhone 5 coming within weeks of WWDC, but look at it from developers point of view. Developers will need to be able to work with the SDK, beta software, testing, etc for a minimum of a month (in all likelihood) before Apple will release iOS 5 in it's final rendition to the public. I also doubt Apple would start selling the iPhone 5 before iOS 5 is available. I would say best case scenario is Apple announces both iOS 5 and iPhone 5 at WWDC on June 6, and with an accelerated beta program for developers, releases both iOS 5 and iPhone 5 in mid to late July.
This is just my view of the situation, and probably means nothing.
This is just my view of the situation, and probably means nothing.
darkplanets
Apr 5, 07:42 PM
Am I the only one that's happy about adapters?
I feel they give the maximum flexibility for the minimum port interference; I'd rather have 4 of these good-for-any-use ports on my computer than a set number of fixed use ports, some of which never get used.
I guess it's just me?
I feel they give the maximum flexibility for the minimum port interference; I'd rather have 4 of these good-for-any-use ports on my computer than a set number of fixed use ports, some of which never get used.
I guess it's just me?
baryon
Jun 18, 01:57 PM
Woah... I would partition a 2TB SHXC card and use 1TB for Time Machine and the other half for Final Cut Pro! On freaking 3 square centimeters!
0815
Apr 26, 06:40 AM
All true... but what happens when you replace the hard drive? Willing to buy one from Apple with the OS preinstalled?
Thats what the USB stick is for - you boot from it like you used to do from DVD and install - that simple.
USB sticks are too expensive and take too much time to duplicate "en masse". DVDs are very cheaper and take few seconds to duplicate if even that since they are being pressed (not burned in the case of mass duplication). USB sticks are also more expensive.
It doesn't make sense to go to a USB only distribution model, at least from a cost basis. As for Mac App Store... meh... why not do downloads outside of the Mac App Store, I don't want to use that POS. I've been installing OSes from HTTP and FTP since the mid-90s, no need for a "Mac App Store" to do it. What happens if I don't have a 10.6 or 10.7 installation going and just want to wipe the computer ? Linux has been doing network installs from nothing. Upon purchase, just provide a USB thumb-drive image I can put on any 1 GB thumb-drive to boot into the installer where I put in my purchase code or something. No need for the "Mac App Store".
Funny how history repeats itself (or better the comments on current events) ... those are the same arguments that I heard when computer manufactures started to get rid of the Floppy drive: but CDs are so much more expensive, I can't get everything on CD, people don't know how to handle them, ....
Also: don't compare the price of big read/writeable USB sticks in the store - with a fixed (read-only) image they can be mass produced fairly cheap - yes DVD might be a tiny bit cheaper for now - but there are other cost savings with the tiny USB sticks compared to the big DVD boxes (packaging, shipping, storage, .... and you save the money to put the DVD drive in the machine)
Lets face it: the DVD is at the end of its life cycle, it was great for its time but now is the time to say good bye.
At this point in time most non-enthusiasts are barely comfortable reinstalling an OS. They'd be totally lost if OS X wasn't on a disc. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to have to deal with all the extra support calls and will provide Lion on DVD for any Mac that has a SuperDrive. DVDs are on their way out but still have a lot of mainstream life in them.
even non-enthusiasts manage to put a USB stick in the right slot. You know, even my father (who does not know anything about computers and sometimes scares me with his very naive computer questions) knows how to put his USB stick in the computer to copy some pictures to it. If he can handle to put a DVD in the drive to boot and reinstall, he can handle to put a USB stick in the right slot to boot and reinstall.
We are still in a transition period. There is zero reason to think 10.7 won't come on DVD. Not everyone -- actually most -- people in the U.S. do not have high speed broadband (4 Mbps or faster) service either because of cost or availability [stats here for the non-believers: http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3343,en_2649_34225_38690102_1_1_1_1,00.html] . It would be suicidal for Apple to ship a multi-GB OS only via download. Especially Apple home users, who bought into Apple because of it's ease of use, are not going to sit for hours as their new shiny OS downloads, then sit for another 15-30 min as it installs.
Why? You don't need high speed internet to put a USB stick in your computer, no need to wait for hours, just plug it in and be happy.
Thats what the USB stick is for - you boot from it like you used to do from DVD and install - that simple.
USB sticks are too expensive and take too much time to duplicate "en masse". DVDs are very cheaper and take few seconds to duplicate if even that since they are being pressed (not burned in the case of mass duplication). USB sticks are also more expensive.
It doesn't make sense to go to a USB only distribution model, at least from a cost basis. As for Mac App Store... meh... why not do downloads outside of the Mac App Store, I don't want to use that POS. I've been installing OSes from HTTP and FTP since the mid-90s, no need for a "Mac App Store" to do it. What happens if I don't have a 10.6 or 10.7 installation going and just want to wipe the computer ? Linux has been doing network installs from nothing. Upon purchase, just provide a USB thumb-drive image I can put on any 1 GB thumb-drive to boot into the installer where I put in my purchase code or something. No need for the "Mac App Store".
Funny how history repeats itself (or better the comments on current events) ... those are the same arguments that I heard when computer manufactures started to get rid of the Floppy drive: but CDs are so much more expensive, I can't get everything on CD, people don't know how to handle them, ....
Also: don't compare the price of big read/writeable USB sticks in the store - with a fixed (read-only) image they can be mass produced fairly cheap - yes DVD might be a tiny bit cheaper for now - but there are other cost savings with the tiny USB sticks compared to the big DVD boxes (packaging, shipping, storage, .... and you save the money to put the DVD drive in the machine)
Lets face it: the DVD is at the end of its life cycle, it was great for its time but now is the time to say good bye.
At this point in time most non-enthusiasts are barely comfortable reinstalling an OS. They'd be totally lost if OS X wasn't on a disc. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to have to deal with all the extra support calls and will provide Lion on DVD for any Mac that has a SuperDrive. DVDs are on their way out but still have a lot of mainstream life in them.
even non-enthusiasts manage to put a USB stick in the right slot. You know, even my father (who does not know anything about computers and sometimes scares me with his very naive computer questions) knows how to put his USB stick in the computer to copy some pictures to it. If he can handle to put a DVD in the drive to boot and reinstall, he can handle to put a USB stick in the right slot to boot and reinstall.
We are still in a transition period. There is zero reason to think 10.7 won't come on DVD. Not everyone -- actually most -- people in the U.S. do not have high speed broadband (4 Mbps or faster) service either because of cost or availability [stats here for the non-believers: http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3343,en_2649_34225_38690102_1_1_1_1,00.html] . It would be suicidal for Apple to ship a multi-GB OS only via download. Especially Apple home users, who bought into Apple because of it's ease of use, are not going to sit for hours as their new shiny OS downloads, then sit for another 15-30 min as it installs.
Why? You don't need high speed internet to put a USB stick in your computer, no need to wait for hours, just plug it in and be happy.
TEG
Apr 5, 05:32 PM
I believe he's referring to headsets that don't have the audio in and out jack combined into one (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036282). The line-in port on Macs does not have any power to support a microphone. This is why the Griffin iMic exists.
Since the Mic port turned into Line-In, there hasn't been any power on the port, requiring a powered input or amp. However, on the Headset jacks that support the iPhone mic on them, do have a built-in mic, even on the MacBook, but only when using the 3rd sleeve that the iPhone mic cable has.
TEG
Since the Mic port turned into Line-In, there hasn't been any power on the port, requiring a powered input or amp. However, on the Headset jacks that support the iPhone mic on them, do have a built-in mic, even on the MacBook, but only when using the 3rd sleeve that the iPhone mic cable has.
TEG
Elijahg
Apr 5, 10:16 PM
It will be interesting to see if Apple develops its own controller chip for ARM processors.
I agree! They'll have to deal with flipping the endian-ness of the different architectures, the complete lack of a extensible interface like PCI-E on ARM too may pose a challenge.
The idea of having a common connector like minidisplay port is quite awesome, and the utilization is all in the software control approach. Dual channel, full bidirectional, with the possibility of up to 4 protocols running simultaneously with very high data rates. Apple is just covering their future bases, and doing it very nicely.
Yup, it'll be great if we manage to cut down the reams of connectors we have now to just a few TB and maybe USB ports. One port for all is a great idea, which has been tried in the past (i.e. USB's original intention), but USB was never designed well enough to become one-for-all. Just imagine having a Mac Mini attached to a 4TB disk array with an iTunes library on, daisy-chained to a HDTV. All through one thin cable, no messing about with X number of different cables all over the place. If you needed more storage, just add an extra disk into the daisy-chain.
One post wanted everything to go thru a standard phone jack. Not at all likely or even possible.
I saw that too, but forgot to reply in my previous post... @ the headphone jack poster: A standard headphone jack works with USB as it's got 4 wires, just one more than a normal set of headphones. Apple have an extra ring around the USB to jack cable, enabling USB transfer. It wouldn't be possible to add more than a few extra sleeves to the headphone jack without getting problems with interference and alignment. Displayport/Thunderbolt uses 20 pins, which would be quite a challenge to fit onto a jack plug. Though if Thunderbolt supports optical transmission, that could be used in a headphone jack, with the rings used for power only. Similar to the Toslink to headphone jack adapters. I'm not sure if TB does support future optical connections though. ;)
I agree! They'll have to deal with flipping the endian-ness of the different architectures, the complete lack of a extensible interface like PCI-E on ARM too may pose a challenge.
The idea of having a common connector like minidisplay port is quite awesome, and the utilization is all in the software control approach. Dual channel, full bidirectional, with the possibility of up to 4 protocols running simultaneously with very high data rates. Apple is just covering their future bases, and doing it very nicely.
Yup, it'll be great if we manage to cut down the reams of connectors we have now to just a few TB and maybe USB ports. One port for all is a great idea, which has been tried in the past (i.e. USB's original intention), but USB was never designed well enough to become one-for-all. Just imagine having a Mac Mini attached to a 4TB disk array with an iTunes library on, daisy-chained to a HDTV. All through one thin cable, no messing about with X number of different cables all over the place. If you needed more storage, just add an extra disk into the daisy-chain.
One post wanted everything to go thru a standard phone jack. Not at all likely or even possible.
I saw that too, but forgot to reply in my previous post... @ the headphone jack poster: A standard headphone jack works with USB as it's got 4 wires, just one more than a normal set of headphones. Apple have an extra ring around the USB to jack cable, enabling USB transfer. It wouldn't be possible to add more than a few extra sleeves to the headphone jack without getting problems with interference and alignment. Displayport/Thunderbolt uses 20 pins, which would be quite a challenge to fit onto a jack plug. Though if Thunderbolt supports optical transmission, that could be used in a headphone jack, with the rings used for power only. Similar to the Toslink to headphone jack adapters. I'm not sure if TB does support future optical connections though. ;)
Westacular
Mar 23, 05:31 PM
5 years ago Apple was pushing open standards with no licensing require (ie, zeroconf) and no one would buy in. Now they offer a standard with a fraction of the capability and charge for it and everyone wants it.
There's a world of difference between extending basic Internet protocols and making a method for streaming videos to set-top devices that actually just works.
The former *has* to be open and license-free to gain any level of traction or standardization, and Apple has done a good job with it -- the drafts for mDNS and DNS-SD (which combine to make Bonjour) are both still active and standards-tracked at IETF. Expect them to become full RFC internet standards before long.
The latter generally means selling a chip (or licensing its design) to other manufacturers. There's both the expectation that this is how things are done, and likely a legal need to charge for it to cover patent licensing fees.
There's a world of difference between extending basic Internet protocols and making a method for streaming videos to set-top devices that actually just works.
The former *has* to be open and license-free to gain any level of traction or standardization, and Apple has done a good job with it -- the drafts for mDNS and DNS-SD (which combine to make Bonjour) are both still active and standards-tracked at IETF. Expect them to become full RFC internet standards before long.
The latter generally means selling a chip (or licensing its design) to other manufacturers. There's both the expectation that this is how things are done, and likely a legal need to charge for it to cover patent licensing fees.
str1f3
Dec 27, 07:26 PM
Read the chat. They say online cannot be done. You can still purchase one in store.
So in other words: It isn't banned.
No it's not banned. They are intentionally trying to make it more difficult for you to buy it. You have to do the footwork yourself to get it. It is unprecendented for a company to want to make their product more difficult to buy.
Seems fraud is the reason from what that rep said in the chat. Maybe we have started to solve the mystery to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=613734). ;)
This has already hit Gizmodo. At the time of The Consumerist post, they were already trying to reach AT&T Public Relations. The fraudulent claim is to divert attention away from the original reason.
As for eBay iPhones, you can find any of these for any cell phone under contract on eBay. This, or fraudulent claims, wouldn't be a NYC specific problem.
So in other words: It isn't banned.
No it's not banned. They are intentionally trying to make it more difficult for you to buy it. You have to do the footwork yourself to get it. It is unprecendented for a company to want to make their product more difficult to buy.
Seems fraud is the reason from what that rep said in the chat. Maybe we have started to solve the mystery to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=613734). ;)
This has already hit Gizmodo. At the time of The Consumerist post, they were already trying to reach AT&T Public Relations. The fraudulent claim is to divert attention away from the original reason.
As for eBay iPhones, you can find any of these for any cell phone under contract on eBay. This, or fraudulent claims, wouldn't be a NYC specific problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment